NTSA Driving Licence Renewal in Kenya via eCitizen and M-PESA
NTSA Driving Licence Renewal in Kenya via eCitizen and M-PESA
Digital driving license in Kenya
How to renew driving license online
New driving license Kenya deadline
In the past, you would have gone to the banks and Huduma Centers which had formed partnership with the National Transport Safety Authority for driving licence renewal.
In 2014, the National Transport Safety Authority put a stop to manual renewal of driving license. Now the authority has made it possible for you, to perform Renewal Of Driving Licence In Kenya Via eCitizen Portal
In the new NTSA guidelines, drives involved in accidents could have their licences suspended for a period of not longer than six months. Drivers will further be required to renew their licenses every year as opposed to the current rules where one renews after three years. Drivers will also undergo medical examination and their driving skills tested again after 10 years of driving.
This is an online platform provided by the Kenyan Government. Thanks to e-citizen, you can now renew NTSA driver licence in Kenya from the comfort of your home, office, or cyber cafe and pay for the services via MPESA without much hassle.
How much does it cost to renew driving Licence in Kenya?
How to renew your driving licence without e-citizen and MPESA?
In 2018, the NTSA issued out the new generation driving licences in order to improve the records kept on drivers. Some of the items included in the digital driving licence are;
- KRA PIN
- ID Number
- It will also contain the driver’s information and a record of their traffic offenses
It’s even now easier for, because the NTSA has also developed an app, which you can enquire about the following;
- The status of your motor vehicle
- The status of your driving licence
- To check your road service and licencing status
- The status of your sacco licence
- The status of the PSV licencing
- To find out the status of your vehicle’s night travel licence
The NTSA Director General Francis Mejja, announced that they are in talks with the insurance industries, for high-risk drivers will have to pay high premiums to be insured by an insurance company.
Apart from NTSA renewal services offered by e-citizen here are some of the other services offered on the same platform;
- NTSA New Driving licence. This gives you authority to drive a motor vehicle of any class on Kenyan roads.
- Provisional driving licence. This will be issued to you when you want to undergo training in driving.
- Driving test endorsement. This enables you to drive other classes of vehicles other than the one you are driving.
- Duplicate driving licence. When your driving licence is stolen, lost, damaged or defaced, you are required to apply for a replacement.
The main functions of the National Transport Safety Authority as outlined in Section 4 of NTSA Act are;
- Gives advice and make recommendations on matters relating to road transport and safety.
- Implements policies relating to road transport and safety.
- Responsible for planning, managing and regulating the road transport sector with the provisions of the Act.
- Lastly, it provides safe, reliable and efficient road transport service
The following are the conditions for granting of driving licence in Kenya.The licensing officer shall not grant you a driving licence unless;
- You have passed the driving test and you are competent to drive that class of motor vehicle and that you hold a certificate of competence.
- You are holder of a valid driving licence for that class of motor vehicle granted by competent authority in a country of the commonwealth.
- You have acquired an international driving licence.
- When you make a declaration as to whether or not that you are suffering from any such disease or physical disability which would result to cause road accident while you are driving.
- You are able to read with glasses if worn, a motor vehicle identification plate at a distance of 25 meters. Note that, a blind person or a person whose one eye is blind, is not allowed to possess a driving licence.
Where you are suffering from any such disease or physical disability which may result to you causing a road accident while driving, the licensing officer won’t issue you with a driving licence unless;
- You produce a medical certificate from a medical practitioner, stating that you are physically fit to drive that class or classes of motor vehicles in question.
- You undergo a driving test and you pass.
How To Renew Driving License In Kenya via eCitizen and M-PESA?
Follow these Steps For NTSA Driving Licence Renewal In Kenya.
- Log in to the eCitizen website. You will be required to provide your email address or your National ID Number and password in order to access the online portal. If you are logging in for the first time, you will have to create or sign up for an account.
- Once you have logged in, select the National Transport and Safety Authority tab for driving licence renewal application.
- Then click on submit application option and select driving licences.
- You can either choose one year driving licence renewal or three years driving licence renewal.
- It is important to confirm the application details. For one year driving licence renewal it will cost you KES 600 while for three years driving licence renewal, it will cost you KES 1,400 with an additional convenience fee of KES 50.
- After confirming the application details depending on your choice of driving licence renewal period, you need to double check the information you have provided for accuracy and to check if you have entered in all information on the required fields.
- After reviewing the details and you are satisfied that the information you have given is accurate, then, click submit.
- You need to choose the mode of payment for your driving licence renewal.It is important to note that, you can use mobile money services such as M-Pesa to renew your driver’s licence.
- After you have paid and submitted a successful application, you will able to print the NTSA renewal driving licence slip.
Do you know the National Transport and Safety Authority mandate?
The NTSA is mandated to;
- Register and licence vehicles in Kenya, to legally operate on the Kenyan roads.
- Carry out motor vehicle inspection and certification
- Public service regulation
- Give the Government advice on national policy with regard to road transport sector
- Implement and develop road safety strategies
- Carry out the facilitation of educating members of the public on road safety
- Conduct research and audits on road safety
- Compiling of inspection reports relating to traffic accidents
- Establish systems and procedures for, and oversee the training, testing and licencing of drivers.
- Lastly, to formulate and review the curriculum of driving schools and coordinate the activities of persons and organizations dealing in matters relating to road safety.
- Make sure car driver has got his car insured.
Are you having challenges in getting your car insured? At Next Insurance, we give you the options of comparing quotes.