How to renew driving license online in Kenya Today
How to renew driving license online in Kenya 2023
Renew driving license online in Kenya
Renew driving license online in Kenya: In 2014, the National Transport Safety Authority put a stop to the manual renewal of the driving license. Currently, there is also the transition from the old permits to the new digital license, which is taking place. Under the new NTSA guidelines, drives involved in accidents could have their licenses suspended for a period of not longer than six months.
Drivers will further be required to renew their licenses every year as opposed to the current rules where one renews after three years. Drivers will also undergo a medical examination, and their driving skills tested again after ten years of driving. This is an online platform provided by the Kenyan Government. Thanks to e-citizen, you can now renew the NTSA driver’s license in Kenya from the comfort of your home, office, or cyber cafe and pay for the services via MPESA without much hassle.
How much does it cost to renew driving License in Kenya?
How to renew your driving license online in Kenya without e-citizen and MPESA?
In 2018, the NTSA issued out the new generation driving licenses in order to improve the records kept on drivers. Some of the items included in the digital driving license are;
- KRA PIN
- ID Number
- It will also contain the driver’s information and a record of their traffic offenses
It’s even now easier for because the NTSA has also developed an app, which you can enquire about the following;
- The status of your motor vehicle
- The state of your driving license
- To check your road service and licensing status
- The status of your Sacco license
- The condition of the PSV licensing
- To find out the status of your vehicle’s night travel license
The NTSA Director General Francis Mejja announced that they are in talks with the insurance industries, for high-risk drivers will have to pay high premiums to be insured by an insurance company.
Apart from NTSA renewal services offered by e-citizen here are some of the other services provided on the same platform;
- NTSA New Driving license. This gives you the authority to drive a motor vehicle of any class on Kenyan roads.
- Provisional driving license. This will be issued to you when you want to undergo training in driving.
- Driving test endorsement. This enables you to drive other classes of vehicles other than the one you are driving.
- Duplicate driving license. When your driving license is stolen, lost, damaged, or defaced, you are required to apply for a replacement.
The main functions of the National Transport Safety Authority as outlined in Section 4 of the NTSA Act are;
- Gives advice and makes recommendations on matters relating to road transport and safety.
- Implement policies relating to road transport and safety.
- Responsible for planning, managing, and regulating the road transport sector with the provisions of the Act.
- Lastly, it provides safe, reliable and efficient road transport service
Conditions for granting of a driving license in Kenya
The following are the conditions for the granting of a driving license in Kenya. The licensing officer shall not give you a driving license unless;
- You have passed the driving test, and you are competent to drive that class of a motor vehicle and that you hold a certificate of competence.
- You are a holder of a valid driving license for that class of motor vehicle granted by a competent authority in a country of the commonwealth.
- You have acquired an international driving license.
- When you make a declaration as to whether or not you are suffering from any disease or physical disability which would result in you causing road accidents while you are driving.
- You are able to read with glasses if worn, a motor vehicle identification plate at a distance of 25 meters. Note that, a blind person or a person whose one eye is blind, is not allowed to possess a driving license.
Where you are suffering from any such disease or physical disability which may result in you causing a road accident while driving, the licensing officer won’t issue you with a driving license unless;
- You produce a medical certificate from a medical practitioner, stating that you are physically fit to drive that class or classes of motor vehicles in question.
- You undergo a driving test, and you pass.
How To Renew Driving License Online In Kenya via eCitizen and M-PESA?
Follow these Steps For NTSA Driving Licence Renewal In Kenya.
Log in to the eCitizen website. You will be required to provide your email address or your National ID Number and password in order to access the online portal. If you are logging in for the first time, you will have to create or sign up for an account.
- Once you have logged in, select the National Transport and Safety Authority tab for driving license renewal application.
- Then click on submit application option and select driving licenses.
- You can either choose one-year driving license renewal or three years driving license renewal.
- It is crucial to confirm the application details. For one year driving license renewal, it will cost you KES 600 while for three years driving license renewal, and it will cost you KES 1,400 with an additional convenience fee of KES 50.
- After confirming the application details depending on your choice of the driving license renewal period, you need to double-check the information you have provided for accuracy and to check if you have entered all information on the required fields.
- After reviewing the details and you are satisfied that the information you have given is accurate, then, click submit.
- You need to choose the mode of payment for your driving license renewal. It is important to note that you can use mobile money services such as M-Pesa to renew your driver’s license.
- After you have paid and submitted a successful application, you will able to print the NTSA renewal driving license slip.