Steps on how to renew a driver’s licence with the NTSA eCitizen Portal in Kenya
- Log in to the eCitizen website – https://account.ecitizen.go.ke/login
- Select “National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA)” for renewal of a driving license application.
- Choose “Submit Application” option and select “Driving Licences”
- Select either “One Year Driving Licence Renewal” or “Three Years Driving Licence Renewal” to renew your driver’s license using mobile money services such as M-Pesa.
- Confirm the application details i.e. Application fee (Driving Licence renewal for 1 year @ KSh 600 and Driving Licence renewal for 3 year KSh1, 400) and Convenience fee @ KSh 50 then Click “Apply Now”
- Review your entry, then Click Submit
- Choose a mode of payment which can be through Mobile Money such as M-Pesa or Debit/Credit card.
- After the payment, submission and successful application, one will be able to print their renewal driving license slip.
How To pay for eCitizen services via Lipa na M-pesa paybill 206206
Step 1: Go to M-PESA on your phone
Step 2: Select Lipa na M-pesa option in the drop-down
Step 3: Select the Pay Bill option
Step 4: Enter the business number 206206
Step 5: asks for account number, which is automatically generated based on the service you used.
Step 6: Enter the amount, which was generated as an invoice.
Step 7: Enter M-pesa Pin Number and Press Send
Step 8: Confirmation message from M-pesa and you are set!
CONDITIONS FOR GRANTING OF DRIVING LICENSE in kenya
A licensing officer shall not grant an applicant a driving license endorsed in respect of any class of motor vehicle unless the applicant –
- satisfies the licensing officer that
- He has passed a test of competence to drive that class of motor vehicle and that he holds a certificate of competence
- Is the holder of a valid driving license for that class of motor vehicle granted by a competent authority in a member country of the Commonwealth, or
- Is the holder of an international driving permit
- Makes a declaration as to whether or not he is suffering from any such disease or physical disability which would be likely to cause the driving by him of a motor vehicle to be a source of danger to the public
- Is able to read, with glasses if worn, a motor vehicle identification plate at a distance of twenty five (25) metres. A person who is totally blind or blind in one eye is not allowed to hold a driving license.
If it appears to a licensing officer that there is reason to believe that the applicant for any driving license is suffering from disease or physical disability likely to cause the driving by him of a motor vehicle, of the class or classes in respect of which the application for a license is made, to be a source of danger to the public, such application may be disapproved unless the applicant –
- Produces a certificate from a medical practitioner stating that in the opinion of such medical practitioner the applicant is physically fit to drive the class or classes of motor vehicle in question; and
- Undergoes and passes a driving test
Driving Licenses in Kenya
A driving license is issued as an authority to allow a person to drive a motor vehicle of any class on a road. No person shall be allowed to drive a motor vehicle on road unless he is the holder of a valid driving license or a provisional license endorsed in respect of that class of vehicle. No person shall be entitled to more than one driving license, but a driving license may be endorsed to permit the holder to drive one or more classes of motor vehicle.
Driving licenses shall upon expiry be renewed on production and upon payment of the prescribed fee. The renewal period will either be valid for a period of twelve (12) months or three (3) years from the date of issue at the option of the holder.
Smart Driving License in Kenya (Ntsa)
How to get a new smart diving license
To apply for these new driving licenses, you’ll need to register on NTSA’s Citizen self-service portal, the Transport Integrated Management Systems (TIMS).