In this guide, you will learn the process of TIMS account registration and what you need to get set up.
To register for a TIMS account, you will need your national identification serial number, your KRA PIN, and your phone number.
The account details should match the owner’s credentials. That means that if someone helps you to register for an NTSA account, they need to enter your credentials.
An NTSA TIMS account gives you access to services like vehicle registration, car inspection, application of duplicate logbook, application of driving license, guidelines for training drivers, transfer of car ownership, online car search, reflective number plate application, and registration of physical or functional changes to your car.
NTSA account holders are individuals, companies, driving schools, financial institutions, dealers, and agents.
TIMS Account Registration
Follow the process below to register for a TIMS account:
- Visit the NTSA citizen self-service portal and click “Register.” You will find this option below the blue sign-in button.
- At the top right-hand corner of the screen, click “Subscribe SMS” to register for the NTSA SMS service.
- Once you have confirmed that you have successfully subscribed to this service, hit “Proceed to Register Account.”
- Under the “Individuals” tab, enter your ID serial number, and click “Verify.” If you are a foreigner, select the “Alien” option.
- After verifying your ID serial number, the system will automatically fill some of your information. Enter the other details that are required. These will include your KRA PIN, your occupation, your phone number, and your mother’s maiden name.
- Hit “Send Authorization Code” and enter the code you receive on your phone. Click “Verify.”
- Type the other details as required. Some of these details could include your postal address, Home County, and place of residence.
- Once you complete the registration process, NTSA will send you an SMS with a password.
You can either log in through the NTSA citizen self-service portal or through e-Citizen. If you already have an e-Citizen account, log in and go to NTSA to access its services.
When using the NTSA citizen self-service portal, follow these steps:
- Choose the login method
- Enter your ID number
- Enter the password NTSA sent to your phone
- Hit “Get Code” and type the code you receive via SMS
- Click “Sign In”
- At the top right corner of the screen, click on your name to create a new password
From the steps above, the SMS subscription that you made earlier was important because the login process depends on it. Therefore, always have your phone close to you when logging in.
TIMS “Person Not Found”
If you enter your ID serial number and the system sends the message “person not found,” you will need to visit the nearest NTSA offices for assistance. Here are the reasons the system cannot find you:
- The system will only recognize the serial number of your lost ID. In this case, you will have to visit the office of the registrar of persons to access this serial number.
- Sometimes, TIMS simply cannot find your ID serial number. As a result, visit the nearest NTSA offices to get help.
- You are using the serial number of your lost ID. If you had replaced your lost ID only to find your old one later, the serial number of your old ID might not work when registering for government services like NTSA. This is because the ID serial number changed when you replaced it.