How To Renew Your Driving License in Kenya Online. The National Transport and Safety Board (NTSA) started rolling out the new generation smart driving licenses in April 2018. The new digital driving licenses look almost similar to the National ID and contain personal data including one’s Blood Group.
Also included in the license is an electronic chip which holds the driver’s information including a point system which will be used to track traffic offenses committed by the driver. Along with this, is a digital wallet that is meant to facilitate paying fines on committing offenses.
Here is How to Apply for the Smart Driving Licence on TIMS
- Log in to the NTSA/ eCitizen portal with your E-mail address (or National ID Number) and Password
- Select National Transport and Safety Authority for online renewal of driving license in Kenya
- Click on Submit Application, then Driving Licenses
- You have two options for the renewal of a driving license in Kenya: a three-year license renewal that costs Ksh1400 or a one-year license at Ksh600. The NTSA charges a mandatory Ksh50 convenience fee in addition to the renewal charges.
- Double-check and confirm your driving license renewal details, then click Apply Now. Finally, press Submit
- Choose your preferred mode of payment. NTSA allows the use of mobile money such as M-Pesa. You can also pay using a Debit or Credit card
- Print your driving renewal license slip.
- When registering for an account, the ID Serial Number is NOT the same as your ID number. The serial number is printed opposite to the ID Number on your ID.
- Your Mother’s Maiden Name and KRA PIN will be required during registration.
- If you get “The PIN doesn’t exist” error when you try to verify your KRA PIN, NTSA advises you visit one of their offices near you for assistance.
Some of the appointment centres include NTSA Offices in the following locations:
- Nairobi – NTSA Head Office in Upper Hill
- Nairobi – Motor Vehicle Inspection Centre, Likoni Road (Industrial Area)
- Nakuru – Motor Vehicle Inspection Centre along Nakuru Ravine Road near Show Ground junction
- Mombasa – Imaara Building, 1st Floor, on Dedan Kimathi Avenue opposite Pandya Memorial Hospital
- Kisumu – Swan Centre, 1st floor
- Kisii – Umoja Plaza, KRA Building
- Machakos – Naivas Building, KRA offices
- Eldoret – Motor Vehicle Inspection Centre along Police Line Road
- Thika – Thika House building, 1st roundabout to Thika from blue Post Hotel, Nkuruma street
- Nyeri – Regional Commissioners complex Nyeri, block C, third floor, Opposite Nyeri Law Courts