This is a guide on how to renew your driving license in Kenya. Renewal and printing of driving license slip is through eCitizen portal. It is a simple process that usually takes less than five minutes if all systems are okay. The renewal period is either one or three years.
Step by Step Process on How to Renew Your Driving License in Kenya
- Log into your eCitizen account. In case you do not have, click here to learn how to create an eCitizen account. If you have problems logging into your account, you can reset your eCitizen password.
- Click on the National Transport and Safety Authority link. Any of your recent applications made will be displayed.
- Click on make application.
- Click on the driving licenses to open more options.
- Select the number of years you want to renew.
- After the next page opens, click on the apply button. Your driving license details will be populated automatically. In the event that your details are not found, there are some numbers provided for support. Unfortunately, sometimes their calls do not go through. You are left with the option of visiting NTSA offices.
- Confirm if your details are okay and submit.
- Make your payment using any of the provided methods. The payment for one year is Kshs 650 while that of three years is Kshs 1,450.
- Click on complete after you receive notification of a successful payment.
- Click on downloads on the right-hand side. Print the receipt, cut it along the dotted lines and glue it at the back of your license book.
A Note About the New Digital License
That is the process you have to follow in order to renew your driving license in Kenya. Note that the old licenses are being phased out and new smart digital ones are being rolled out. In some instances, you will not be able to renew a driving license that has not expired. To apply for the new smart digital license, you need to create a TIMs Account.
How to Check the Validity of Your Driving License
You can check the validity of your driving license by using the NTSA Self Service App. Simply download it from the Google Play Store. Use the option, ‘verify application status’. Click on driving license verification. Provide your ID number and click verify
After Renewing, DL Still Shows Expired
If you get the message that your driving license has expired, you need to update your information. You are supposed to send full names, ID number, DL reference number and CoC to NTSA. But the most effect way is to present yourself to any NTSA office country wide. They will update your driving license details immediately.