How to Apply for KRA PIN:
Before we get into the details of the KRA PIN Application, we need to know what a KRA PIN is and what is its importance.
What is a KRA PIN:
This is a unique personal Identification number issued by the Kenya Revenue Authority – KRA for tax purposes. As you may be aware, KRA is a government agency that is responsible for the assessment, collection and accounting for all revenues that are due to the government, in accordance with the laws of Kenya. A KRA PIN is issued to both Human Beings and Artificial Beings. In this case Artificial beings refers to organizations like companies.
Importance of a KRA PIN
Now that you have a rough idea of what a KRA PIN is, it’s good to know its importance as well. As you might be aware, you cannot do transactions with KRA without a PIN. This implies that you cannot remit any taxes without a PIN. As they say “Kulipa Ushuru ni Kujitegemea” Which translates to Paying your taxes gives you some sense of independence.Here are some of the other reasons why a KRA PIN in important:
- It is also a requirement for employment as well as setting up a business.
- Nowadays it is one of the requirements to open a bank account.
- It is a requirement to ownership of property, be it a car or a house or even land.
- All said and done, it gives you a sense of responsibility as a Citizen.
KRA PIN Application Procedure.
Kindly note that this is the procedure for application for Individual PINs, it is also applicable to Non individuals. Non individual PINs Nowadays are generated during the registration process of the entities. if you had not registered before, you can go ahead and register now.
You need to have a scanned copy of your national identification card (for individuals) as a supporting document for the application. Please note that KRA PIN registration is free of charge, you don’t need to pay for your PIN.
Below is the procedure for KRA PIN registration for Individuals.
- The first step is to visit the KRA itax Portal. Click the Link “ KRA itax Portal” This will redirect you to the portal.
- Click on the New PIN Registration as shown in the image below.
- Once you click on the above, you will have initiated the registration process. This will be redirect you to the e-registration form.
- On the Taxpayer type, Select “ Individual” , then select “Online Form” on the Mode of registration.
- Then Fill in your basic information as prompted. Kindly note that there are some pre-selected options by default, you can leave them as they are if your information does not suggest otherwise. On the employee’s profession, choose your profession from the drop down list. There is an option for students in the list as well. Then choose the subsequent sub groups from the respective drop down lists.Key in your ID number then fill in the subsequent information as prompted and ensure to give accurate information. At the end of that section you will upload a scanned copy or image or PDF of your ID as a supporting document. Kindly note that the system will prompt you if there are any errors. If any, correct them and proceed.
- The next step is to select a suitable tax obligation by checking the relevant boxes. Choose whatever suits your profession or source of income for that matter.
- Enter details of company directors or partners if applicable.
- Then fill in agent details if you have one.(if Applicable)
- Finally enter the result of the arithmetic sum provided and submit the form. If there are no errors, you will have completed the PIN registration process. You can print or save your PIN. A copy is also sent to your email address.