A CRB clearance certificate (COC) is a document that confirms that currently a customer does not have a non- performing account/ Loan. This certificate is normally requested by employers especially government institutions when you are applying for jobs. It can also be a requirement by lending institutions such as banks and SACCOs.
So this is a document that you will need from time to time. It is also a document that is valid on the day it is issued.
If you do not have a negative listing on your credit report, you will get a clearance certificate. If you have a negative listing on your credit report, you will be issued a credit status certificate.
Governmental and an increasing number of private sector employers are making it mandatory for prospective employees to present a Certificate of Clearance from one of the licensed credit reference bureaus (CRBs). Metropol provide a convenient network of offices and agents for individuals to obtain their CoC when required.
The CoC may be used to Know Your Employee (KYE), Know Your Customer (KYC), Know Your Agent (KYA), or to clear the individual or company itself for business with other SMEs or corporate clients.
To get a CRB clearance certificate, you must make an application through a licensed CRB company. It will cost your Ksh 2,200 for the certificate. The Central Bank of Kenya has licensed the following CRB firms:
a. Metropol Corporation
- Dial *433# on your mobile phone using Safaricom line
- Enter your National ID Number
- Enter an agent number if you were referred by a Metropol agent else enter zero (0) to proceed
- Confirm your details to complete the registration process
- Pay Ksh 100 as registration fees through the Paybill number 220388 and use your National ID number as the account number
- You will receive an SMS with Crystobol PIN
- Visit the Metropol website
- Enter your PIN
- Select ‘Clearance Certificate’
- Pay Ksh 2,200 for the certificate through the Paybill number 220388
- Follow the instructions provided to download your clearance certificate
b. TransUnion Africa
- Text your full names to 21272 or 21CRB. Note: SMS Charges cost Ksh 19. Download the TransUnion Nipashe app to save on SMS charges
- Register by paying a one-off payment of Ksh 50 to PayBill number 212121 and use your National ID as account number
- Then pay Ksh 2,200, then email your Mpesa/Airtel transaction details to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be emailed back the clearance certificate
c. Creditinfo Kenya
If you have any outstanding loans you will need to clear them in order to get a CRB clearance certificate. If you are not able to clear the loans at the time you will just have to get a a credit status certificate.