This is a complete guide on how to create an eCitizen Account. You create an eCitizen account to access various government services.
With an eCitizen Account, you will be able to apply for Government to Citizen (G2C) services and pay for those services via mobile money, Debit Cards, and eCitizen agents.
This is one of the ways Kenyan citizens and foreigners can access government services with ease and within no time. There are various services that you can access from the portal.
Why Use eCitizen Services?
- You will create a single sign-in account – One account is all you need, a single username and password that gives you access to most services offered by the government.
- It is convenient – this is because you will pay using mobile money, Debit Cards, and online banking from local banks.
- Notifications – you will get email and SMS notifications every time your application has progressed to another stage or has been fully processed.
- Provided services – most applications are online-based whereby you fill an online application form. For some applications, once your document has been prepared, you will receive it in PDF format from wherever you are ready for printing.
- Most government offices require online applications.
Which Account Should I Create?
Before you create your eCitizen account, you should know the account type to create. The four accounts available are:
- Kenyan Citizen – This account is for Kenyan citizens only. You will need your National ID number and your first name to register.
- Foreign Residents – This account is for foreigners residing in Kenya. You will need your alien identification number and your first name to register.
- eVisa Visitors – This account is for nationals who require a visa to enter the Republic of Kenya. You will require your passport number.
- Business – This account is for businesses registered in Kenya. You will need your business registration number.
Creating a Kenyan Citizen Account
This kind of account can only be created for Kenyan citizens with a national ID. Click on create an account under the Kenyan citizen option. This process will take you through two steps;
- Creating the account,
- Verifying your phone number.
How to Create an eCitizen Account
Open your web browser, for instance, Mozilla Firefox or Chrome and type the following URL, https://www.ecitizen.go.ke/. Locate the option ‘to create an account’ and click on it. Under the Kenyan Citizen option, click on create an account.
Enter your national identification number and your first name in the provided fields then click on validate. If your details are correct your name and ID number will appear below.
Accept the terms and conditions and click on continue. On the next stage, a phone verification code will be sent to your mobile phone. It is important to use your phone number as opposed to someone else’s. Enter the code and click on continue.
A login window appears where you enter your ID number and the password you created. Log in and select the agency you want to seek services from.
How to Reset Your eCitizen Password
- Access the eCitizen portal.
- Click on the forgot password link below the login section.
- Enter your username which is either your email or ID Number. Most people use their national identification numbers.
- Click the reset password option.
- A preview of the phone number and email you used appears.
- Select the one you have access to and click reset my password. A code will be sent to the item choice you selected.
- If you have no access to either the email or phone number used during registration, then you have to go to Huduma Center or NTSA offices for help.
- Otherwise, use the code you will receive to unlock your account.
- Create a new strong password and make sure you will not forget it.
Services You Can Access After You Create an eCitizen Account
The main eCitizen page or dashboard opens where various government services are being offered. These are the various services you can access:
National Transport and Safety Authority
Most of the services have been moved to the new NTSA portal.
Business Registration Service
This is for Registering and managing your business, including other services like linking your business to eCitizen portal.
Office of the Attorney General and Department of Justice
Department of Immigration Services
This includes the application for a passport, application for a Kenyan visa and application for a work permit.
Directorate of Criminal Investigations
Apply and pay for your Police Clearance Certificate (certificate of good conduct).
Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning
Includes searching for a Title deed, land rent clearance demand notice, and payments. Note that most of the services such as land search have been moved to the Ardhisasa portal. Check this post on how to create an Ardhisasa account and do a land search.
Civil Registration Department
Apply and pay for Birth and Death Certificates online.
County Government of Mombasa
Apply for County of Mombasa eServices
County Government of Nyeri
Apply and pay for your Single Business Permit
County Government of Kisumu
Apply and pay for your Trade License
Kisumu e-Construction Permit
Apply and pay for the county government of Kisumu e-Construction permit
Conclusion on How to Create an eCitizen Account
That is how you create an eCitizen account in an easy way. Also, note that there is a process of creating an NTSA account. The two are different but sometimes people confuse them.
If you have any comments, you are welcome to pen it here below. Thanks for your time and remember to share this article with your friends.