You have to create a TIMS NTSA Account when dealing with issues concerning motor vehicles in Kenya. This is account is different from the eCitizen account.
“National Transport and Safety Authority Act (NTSA) is a statutory body established by the National Transport and Safety Authority Act (2012) to bring about sanity in our roads. To this end, NTSA brings together under one roof the functions of Motor Vehicle Registration, Transport Licensing, and Motor Vehicle Inspection, Road Safety, Driver Testing and some extent Traffic Law enhancement.” – NTSA
You are required to create a TIMS NTSA account to deal with issues as;
- Buying and selling of motor vehicles
- Booking inspection of motor vehicle
- Applying for smart driving license
- Performing a motor vehicle search
- Applying for Vehicle Registration
- Confirmation of Ownership Transfer
- Accept Ownership
- For Applying change of particulars
- Applying for Duplicate Logbook
- Applying for Reflective Number Plate
- Confirmation of In-charge
- Forced Transfer
- Re-registration of Civilian to Civilian
- For re-registration of Motor Vehicles
- Confirmation of Re-registration
- Accept Ownership For Re-registration
Steps for Creating a TIMS NTSA Account
- Access NTSA’s TIMS website by typing https://tims.ntsa.go.ke. Alternatively, you can search for NTSA TIMS on your Google search and select the first search results.
- Once the log in page opens, locate the register button at the bottom below the sign–in option. There is also an option available at the top of the page.
- Click on the register button to proceed.
- In the next window, decide what type of account you are creating.
The Following Accounts Can be Created on NTSA TIMS Portal.
- Individuals account for both Kenyans and non-Kenyans.
- Dealer account
- Financial Institution
- Company and;
- Driving School account
How to Create an Individual’s TIMS Account
- After the fourth step above, click on the individual link and enter your Identification document serial number. Note that this is not the ID No. but the serial number located on the left-hand side of the document.
- Click on the verify button. If successful, you will be taken to the next text box. If not successful you will get a message like “The person is not found. Please check the serial number.” This could mean you have typed the wrong serial number. If you are sure you have typed the right serial number then the next possible reason could be that you have changed your ID. In such a case, you have no option but to visit Huduma center or go to the NTSA offices located in Upper Hill. They will simply check which serial number has been issued to your ID and list them down for you. Then you will have to try each and every one of them till the one that will succeed. If you get the message “Error: This ID serial number has already been registered in the system.” It means you already have an account.
- Enter the maiden name of your mother. Well, this is her middle name but if not successful, try the other names individually. That is one name at a time. Spelling also matters, for instance, the name Veronica can be with an ‘H’ at the end or not depending on what was registered on TIMS account.
Enter Your KRA Pin
- If successful, the next stage is to enter your KRA Pin. If you get an error message “The PIN doesn’t exist,” it means you got your PIN recently. For this error to be solved you have to physically visit NTSA offices with a copy of your Pin so that they can feed into the system.
- If your pin is okay the next stage is to fill the form that displays next. The most important thing here is to verify your phone number. Enter the phone number and click on the button for verifying. Your phone should be open and you will receive a message requesting you to subscribe to NTSA services. Reply with the appropriate button for yes to accept.
- Once successfully subscribed, click on send authorization code. Check the verification code on your phone. Enter the code and click verify. Fill the rest of the necessary details and submit the form.
- After submitting you need to log into the NTSA’s portal. This time you will require your ID number and most importantly a first-time password that will be sent to your mobile phone. Enter the ID number, enter the password and click on get code, type the security code you will receive and then click on sign in. All these security codes are for security purpose. This is to ensure no one can access your account without authorization.
How to Change NTSA TIMS Account Password
- After you create a TIMS NTSA account, change your initial password. To do this click on your name at the top. On the left of the window that appears click on modify password.
- Click on the option for ‘request for verification message’. Enter the code sent to your phone and click submit.
- Enter a new password for your account and make sure you do not forget your password.