This is a guide on how to apply for a KRA PIN online. A KRA PIN is a unique personal identification number issued by the Kenya Revenue Authority to all taxpayers in Kenya. The registration for a KRA PIN is done on the iTax website. The PIN Certificate is issued instantly after completing the online registration form.
A KRA PIN is required if you are employed, in business, have rental income, or want to apply for a HELB Loan. The PIN is also required when doing the transactions listed below.
- Registration of title, stamping of instruments by the Commissioner of Lands, and payment of Land Rent.
- Approval of plans, payment of water deposits, application for a business permit, payment of Land Rent by Local Authorities.
- Registration of Motor Vehicles, and licensing under the Traffic Act (Cap 403) by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.
- Registration of Business Names and Companies by the Registrars of Business names and companies.
- Trade licensing by the Ministry of Commerce.
- Application for Value Added Tax registration.
- Underwriting policies by Insurance Companies.
- To facilitate importation of goods, Customs clearing and forwarding at the offices of Commissioner of Customs and Excise.
- Payment of Deposits for power connections at Kenya Power and Lighting Co. Ltd.
- To facilitate all contracts for the supply of goods and services to all Government Ministries and Public bodies.
Requirements to Register For KRA PIN Online
- National ID details.
- Employers’ PIN details for those who are employed.
- Business registration certificate details for those in business.
b) Non-Kenyan employee(residing in Kenya)
- Letter of introduction by the employer.
- PIN of employer or employer’s representative and in that case the PIN of representative.
- Valid Tax Compliance Certificate of the Representative.
- Original Valid Passport of the applicant.
- Resident permit/ special pass of the applicant (confirm endorsement of work permit in the passport) and name of the employer on the permit.
- KRA PIN application acknowledgement receipt.
How To Apply For KRA PIN Online
1. Go to the iTax website: itax.kra.go.ke
2. Click on “New PIN Registration”
3. Select the taxpayer type; Individual or Non -Individual.
Individual – personal, students, employees, entrepreneurs.
Non- Individual – This is for businesses and companies.
4. Select the mode of registration (choose either online form or upload form)
5. Fill in your basic information.
6. Select suitable tax obligation details by checking the relevant boxes.
These tax obligations include Income Tax, Value Added Tax (VAT), and Pay As You Earn (PAYE).
- Income Tax is a compulsory obligation that applies to either residents or non-residents.
- Value Added Tax (VAT) applies to suppliers of taxable goods and services.
Pay As You Earn (PAYE) applies to employers.
7. Select your Source of Income.
There are three options to select from; employment income, business income, or rental income.
8. Enter agent details if you have one.
Tax Agents are authorized to submit an application on behalf of a Taxpayer.
9. Submit the Application.
Once done, you will see a message saying ‘Registration application has been submitted successfully and your PIN will be displayed on the screen. You will also see an option to download the Pin Certificate.
Any KRA PIN-related offence attracts a fine of Ksh 2,000 per offence.
If you encounter any problems during the registration process, don’t hesitate to contact the Kenya Revenue Authority using the contacts below.
Phone: +254 20 4 999 999 or +254 711 099 999
Facebook: Kenya Revenue Authority