How Do I Transfer Vehicle Ownership on the NTSA Platform?
Transfer Vehicle Ownership on the NTSA Platform ONLINE
What do I need to transfer a vehicle online?
The first requirement is that you create an account by registering on the NTSA TIMS portal, https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp. The registration page will look like the one below. Select the option that applies to you.
How do I transfer vehicle ownership on NTSA?
- The car seller is the one who initiates the process
- First, log in to your NTSA account, click on Vehicle Registration, and then Apply for Transfer of Vehicle Ownership
- Click on Create New; this will prompt you to enter the registration number of the car that you wish to transfer.
- Select View; this will help you to see the details of the vehicle. You will need to upload a copy of the logbook.
- Where we have New Vehicle Owner, click on what is appropriate under individual/non-individual/financier, then feed in the buyer’s details.
- If it is an individual, you will require to put National/Alien ID and Pin. If it is a financial institution/company, you will need to put a PIN and then click on the Add Button.
- Proceed to Security Verification, select mobile phone, then Send Verification code
- A verification code will be sent to the phone number, feed in the verification code, and check the Disclaimer displayed.
How do I accept or decline the ownership of the vehicle?
- Once the transfer of ownership is successful, the vehicle buyer will receive an SMS notification to prompt them to accept the vehicle transferred to them. The buyer will then be required to Log in to their NTSA Tims Account for them to accept/decline the transfer of ownership of the vehicle.
- The following are the steps:
- Once you Log in to the NTSA TIMS Self-service portal, click on the Accept Ownership, enter the registration number. You will then click on Inquire, then view button to see the details of the car.
- Click on the Security Verification, select phone number, and then send so that a verification SMS will be sent to your phone
- Where we have accept/decline, enter the verification code.
- If Accept, input the details as required. Once you are done, click the Submit button. This information will be sent to NTSA. This will facilitate the processing of the logbook
Can NTSA fail to register the vehicle?
It is possible for NTSA to fail to register a vehicle if there is an inter-entity transaction. This means that either the seller or the buyer of the vehicle has lost their right to transfer/accept the vehicle that has already been registered in Kenya. This could be because of unpaid fines among other reasons.
How long does it take for one to get a Log book?
It takes around 14 working days for the log book to be processed for picking.
What are the requirements for the transfer of a log book to be done?
- You will need to do an Online NTSA Car Search to verify that the details of the vehicle are correct.
- You will then fill an Application Form.
- Finally, you will need to ensure that you have the following necessary documents:
- Original Log book document
- Duly filled KRA Transfer Form C from both the seller and buyer
- Copies of PIN from bother the seller and the buyer. However, if you are buying from an organization, then you will need copies of PIN and Certificate of Registration for both the seller and the buyer.
Do I need to surrender my old Log Book?
Yes, you will need to surrender your old log book to NTSA.
How much does it cost to transfer car ownership in Kenya?
The cost of the vehicle differs depending on the Engine Capacity of the vehicle.
|Vehicle’s Engine Capacity||Cost|
|Below 1000cc||Ksh 1660|
|Between 10001 to 1200cc||Ksh 1890|
|Between 1201 to 1500cc||Ksh 2065|
|Between 1501 to 1700cc||Ksh 2410|
|Between 1701 to 2000cc||Ksh 2695|
|Between 2001 to 2500cc||Ksh 3845|
|Between 2501 to 3000cc||Ksh 5055|
|Above 3001cc||Ksh 5915|
|Trailers with four wheels or less||Ksh 1030|
|Vehicles with more than four wheels||Ksh 1890|